Dr Tinkle Chugh
Office: Innovation Centre Phase 1, Room 13
Bio: Hello, I am Tinkle Chugh, working as Lecturer at the Department of Computer Science, University of Exeter, UK. Between Feb 2018 and June 2020, I worked as Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the BIG data methods for improving windstorm FOOTprint prediction (BigFoot) project. I received my Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Mathematical Information Technology in 2017 from the University of Jyvaskyla, Finland and Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Chemical Engineering in 2012 from Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, India.
My research interests are in three fields:
1. Optimisation including evolutionary optimisation, Bayesian optimisation, Multi and Many-objective optimisation, Robust optimisation, Benchmarking for optimisation algorithms, Visualisation for high-dimensional data, latencies in multi-objective optimisation
2. Bayesian statistics including, probabilistic modelling, Gaussian processes, uncertainty quantification and other machine learning methods (neural networks, SVMs, hidden Markov models)
3. Applications including wind farm layout optimisation, design of centrifugal pumps, time series modelling, polymerisation and distillation columns
If you are interested in doing your Undergraduate, Master or PhD project with me, feel free to contact me for a discussion.
I am appointed as Associate Editor of the Complex and Intelligent Systems journal.
Together with George De Ath and Alma Rahat, I published 'MBORE: Multi-objective Bayesian Optimisation using Density Ratio Estimation' in GECCO 2022
I published my work on 'Mono-surrogate vs Multi-Surrogate in Multi-objective Bayesian Optimisation' in GECCO 2022
I published my work on 'R-MBO: A multi-surrogate approach for preference incorporation in Multi-objective Bayesian Optimisation' in GECCO 2022
I and my MSc project student Endi Ymeraj published a conference paper titled 'Wind Farm Layout Optimisation Using Multi-objective Bayesian Optimisation Over Sets' in GECCO 2022
I and my BSc project student sent a paper on Multi-objective Design of Experiments to the Artificial Evolution Conference 2022 to be held in Exeter, UK
Dr Tomas Kratky from Center of hydraulic research, Czech Republic visited from 16th July - 22nd July 2022
Dr Bohumila Kracmarova from the University of Nitra, Slovakia visited from 21st July - 27th July 2022
1. South Asia Development Fund (2021, University of Exeter), £3600 - PI. I received an award of £3600 to support the travelling of my Indian collaborators to visit the University of Exeter. The award aimed to strengthen the existing collaboration on designing wind farms using machine learning techniques.
2. National Environment Research (NERC) Fellow (2020 - 2021, NERC UK) - £10000 - PI. I received a grant of £10000 as a NERC fellow in the Constructing a Digital Environment Programme funded by NERC, UK. The programme aimed to use machine learning tools in promoting citizen science, visualization and decision making.
3. Research-led Initiative award (2019, University of Exeter) - £1000 - PI. I received an award of £1000 from the University of Exeter under the Research-led initiative programme to organize a workshop on Multiple Criteria Decision Making. The workshop attracted more than 40 participants in different disciplines and received positive feedback.
Teaching and Supervision
1. Lecturer of COMM510 (2021 - Present): Multi-objective Optimisation and Decision Making module in MSc Computer Science Programme
2. Coordinator and lecturer of COM3023 (2021 - Present): Machine learning and AI module in BSc Data Science Programme
3. Coordinator and lecturer of ECMM459 (2020 - Present): Statistical Modelling module in MSc Data Science (Professional) Degree Apprenticeship Programme
4. Supervisor in ECM3401 (2020 - Present): Individual Literature Review and Project in the BSc Computer Science Programme
5. Supervisor in ECMM433 (2020 - Present): Data Science Project 1 in the MSc Data Science (Professional) Degree Apprenticeship Programme
6. Supervisor in ECMM451 (2020 - Present): MSc (Computer Science and Data Science) Research Project
Awards and Membership
1. Best paper award (2017). I received the best paper award for my paper 'Surrogate-assisted evolutionary multiobjective shape optimization of an air intake ventilation system' at the IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (IEEE CEC) Conference, San Sebastian, Spain. Press release at the University of Jyvaskyla and Press release at the University of Surrey
2. Academic Excellence Award (2012). I received the Academic Excellence Award from former President of India Dr APJ Abdul Kalam at the Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, India.
3. Member of International Society on Multiple Criteria Decision Making (2014 - Present)
1. Multi-objective Bayesian Optimisation over Sets at the Multi-objective Optimisation Group, University of Jyvaskyla, Finland (Dec 7 2021, online)
2. Conflicting Expensive Objectives: Theory and Applications of Machine Learning + Optimisation at the Artificial Intelligence Society, University of Exeter, UK (Dec 14, 2020, online)
3. Calibrating Citizen Weather Stations at the National Oceanographic Center, UK (May 13, 2020, online)
4. Evolutionary Computation and Applications at the Met Office, Exeter, UK (January 31, 2019)
5. Handling Expensive Multiple Objective with Different Latencies at the University of Surrey, UK (April 11, 2018)
6. Evolutionary Computation in Practice at the Aalto University, Finland (November 24, 2017)
Workshop and Reading Group Organisation
1. Workshop on Surrogate-assisted Evolutionary Computation at the GECCO conference (2022) with Alma Rahat, Richard Everson, Handing Wang and Yaochu Jin
2. Workshop on Evolutionary Algorithms with Uncertainty at the GECCO conference (2021) with Khulood Alyahya, Jonathan Fieldsend and Juergen Branke
3. Reading Group on Evolutionary Computation and Machine Learning (2020 - Present) at the University of Exeter with George De Ath
4. Workshop on Evolutionary Computation + Multiple Criteria Decision Making at the GECCO conference (2019 - 2022) with Richard Allmendinger and Jussi Hakanen
5.Workshop on Multiple Criteria Decision Making at the University of Exeter (2019)
6. Workshop on Data Science meets Multiple Criteria Decision Making at the International Conference on MCDM (2019) with Richard Allmendinger and Jussi Hakanen
7. Workshop on Data-driven Optimization and Applications at the IEEE CEC conference (2017) with Handing Wang and Chaoli Sun
1. Reviewer of journals IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Computational Intelligence Magazine, Soft Computing, Applied Soft Computing, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Information Sciences, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence, Natural Computing, Journal of Global Optimization, Complex and Intelligent Systems, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, and conferences GECCO, IJCNN, MCDM, and IEEE SSCI
2.Invited to participate in special group workshop on MACODA: Many Criteria Optimization and Decision Analysis (16 - 20 Sep 2019) in Leiden, Netherlands
3. Participated in Doctoral Network Training Cruise Seminar (arranged by Prof. Ahti Salo, Aalto University School of Science) from Helsinki to Tallinn, 29-30 May 2017
4. Visited Prof. Yaochu Jin at the University of Surrey, the UK as a Ph.D. student in July-August 2016 and September-November 2015
5. Invited to attend in workshop on surrogate-assisted multi-criteria optimization (SAMCO) from Feb 29 to March 4, 2016, Leiden, Netherlands
6. Participated in EURO PhD School on MCDM from Feb 17 to Feb 28, 2014, Madrid, Spain